International Year One entry requirements
Entry to the International Year One program is based on the academic requirements for entry to a James Madison University bachelor's degree.
However, the English language level requirements are lower as the International Study Center (ISC) program will improve your language proficiency to satisfy the University's English level admission requirements.
International Year One applicants must have:
- Successful completion of the equivalent of a US secondary education
- Minimal 2.7 GPA (Grade Point Average) - equivalent to 75% or a 'B' average
- Diploma or certification of graduation from High School in your home country
- Undergraduate applicants who intend to major in theater, dance, music and studio art must also submit a portfolio and/or arrange an audition.
English language level
The number of semesters you will study on the International Year One program is based on your IELTS score. Your program duration is confirmed after a post-arrival English test.
||English language level
||IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL 70 / Password 6.0 / Embassy English B2
||IELTS 5.5 / TOEFL 60 / Password 5.5
||IELTS 4.5 / TOEFL 45 / Password 4.5
Applicants must provide proof that they meet the minimum English language entry requirement. There are 4 ways you can show English proficiency:
- TOEFL score - internet-based test.
- IELTS score
- 'Password with Writing' test – a free English test that must be taken at one of Study Group USA Higher Education LLC dba International Study Centers or its representatives' offices worldwide. Ask about your nearest location for taking the free Password test.
- Certificate of English from an Embassy English language school in the US, UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.
Direct admission entry requirements
If you are applying to join the University directly you must have at least a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.7 to join James Madison University.
Undergraduate applicants who intend to major in theater, dance, music and studio art must also submit a portfolio and/or arrange an audition.
English language level
You can join your university degree program of choice directly if you already meet the university’s entry requirements of IELTS 6.5/TOEFL 81.