How to apply
University admission for international students
Admission to James Madison University, whether through the International Year or by direct admission, is simple and fast.
Complete our online application form
Use our online form to apply. If you don't have all your information available right now, you can save your application and return to it at a later date. You can also submit your supporting documents via the form or you will be sent a secure link to provide them later.
Once your application has been received, a student enrollment advisor will review it and contact you directly. After your application has been approved, an advisor will let you know how to pay your deposit to secure your place with us.
What documents do I need to send?
Official scanned documents are accepted for the application process, but original or official academic records are required prior to or upon arrival at the University.
Documents can be sent with your application or, if you are sending additional documents after applying, you will be advised how to do this. If any of your original documents are not written in English, they must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
What to send:
- A complete and accurate application form including your intended degree program, email address and telephone number
- Official score from English language proficiency test: IELTS, TOEFL iBT, Password and Embassy English tests accepted*
- Certified, full transcripts of all academic qualifications, translated with translation authenticated
- Certified, proof of graduation, translated, with translation authenticated if available, at the time of application
- Personal Statement (optional)
- Letter of Recommendation (optional)
- Identification pages of your passport
- Copy of your current I-20 and visa, if applicable
- Certified bank statement (issued within 3 months) translated into English; statement must demonstrate sufficient funds to cover minimum of one year of academic study
* Password and Embassy English test scores not accepted for Direct Admission.
Once you receive your university offer
- Sign Acceptance of Offer documents and pay enrollment deposit
- Receive I-20, pay SEVIS fee and schedule your visa appointment
Before you arrive
- Notify us when you receive your visa
- Submit James Madison University Immunization form
- Submit flight arrival form
- Submit accommodation request and documents
- Complete MyMadison account activation online (if you are joining the University via direct admit)
- Request original or official academic records for previous institutions (must be presented upon arrival at orientation)
- Review the International Student Guidebook
When you arrive
- Bring your original official academic records, including previous university academic records, in sealed envelopes with the school stamp or seal
- Check-in with James Madison University
We offer rolling admissions so you can submit your application at any time, and will be considered for the next available intake. We recommend that you apply as early as possible, to allow time for the visa application process.
Your completed application form and all supporting documents must be submitted by these dates:
Preferred start date
|Preferred Start Date||Application Deadline||Start Date|
|Spring 2023 (ISC and Direct Admit)||November 7 (ISC)|
November 15 (Direct Admit)
|January 17, 2023|
|Summer 2023 (ISC)||April 10, 2023||TBD|
|Fall 2023 (ISC and Direct Admit)||July 11, 2023 (ISC)|
July 3, 2023 (Direct Admit)
|August 23, 2023|